This Homemade Pistachio Ice cream bar recipe is as creamy as the pistachio gelato I had last time I was in Italy! Believe it or not, it is made using 4 simple natural ingredients in 10 minutes without any ice cream machine! It is creamy and soft with delicious and deep pistachio flavor without being icy or hard!
This Homemade Pistachio Ice cream bar recipe is seriously better than store-bought as store-bought pistachio ice cream often either does not have any pistachio taste or only the taste of the aroma! What makes it super delicious and nutty is the 100% pistachio paste! The recipe does not use egg, or gelatin! Let´s get started!
📖 What is no Churn Ice cream
It means no fancy expensive ice cream maker is required to make homemade ice cream, all you need is 10 minutes and an electric mixer or hand whisk. No churn ice creams like this Ruby Raspberry Ice cream bar is usually made of a few simple ingredients (cream, condensed milk plus the flavoring like coffee, fruit puree, etc) super quickly and easily. No Churn ice cream is the perfect ice cream recipe even if you are a beginner in the kitchen or perhaps a Pro but don´t want to purchase an ice cream machine.
How does No-Churn ice cream taste? I will be honest with you, I was skeptical and thought I can never make good, creamy ice cream without an ice cream machine. How wrong I was! Since I tried this easy 10 minutes no-churn ice cream base recipe, I can´t stop making a new flavor each week! See some of my other flavor recommendations at the end of this blog post)
📝 Ingredient notes
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream also known as whipping cream has a fat content between 36% and 40%, the cream I am using is 36% to make this Pistachio ice cream bar recipe that makes the ice cream super creamy and fluffy. Use it very cold. To substitute, check out my heavy cream substitute article.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Condensed milk is cow’s milk from which water has been removed (roughly 60% of it). It is most often found with sugar added, in the form of sweetened condensed milk. Sweetened condensed milk is a very thick, sweet product, which when canned can last for years without refrigeration, if not opened. Possibly you can substitute it with a product called evaporated milk, which has undergone a lengthier preservation process because it is not sweetened. Evaporated milk is known in some countries as unsweetened condensed milk. Both products have a similar amount of water removed however since evaporated milk does not contain sugar, you will need to add sugar into it (possibly glucose syrup that makes the ice cream softer vs granulated sugar). If cannot access condensed milk, check my homemade sweetened condensed milk substitute recipe
- Pistachio paste: This Pistachio Ice cream bar will be made with 100% pistachio paste for the maximum nutty taste! Check this homemade pistachio butter recipe or purchase 100% pistachio butter. It has a texture like peanut butter, is slightly oily, and has a super deep nutty flavor without being sweet (no added sugar). Please note that the color of the ice cream is very much depending on the quality of your pistachio paste, it can go anywhere between dark green, light green, or even a bit brownish
- Chocolate: The chocolate coat is quite an important part of this Pistachio ice cream bar both in terms of taste, also in terms of crunchy texture. Make sure you use high-quality chocolate that has a pleasant taste! In this recipe, I am using is Callebaut WhiteChocolate (callets). This is a high-quality chocolate (yet affordable) that contains a higher percentage of cocoa butter than the average supermarket chocolate
- Chocolate food coloring: I am using a very small amount of fat-soluble green chocolate food coloring to color the white chocolate more pistachio color. You can totally skip it
- Chopped pistachio (optional): A little bit of chopped pistachio is added as decoration
If you love pistachios as much as I do, don´t forget to check out my pistachio desserts collection.
🛒 You’ll find detailed measurements for all Ingredients in the printable version of the Recipe Card at the bottom of this post
👩🍳 How to make this recipe
1. What equipment is needed
By now you already know that this Pistachio Ice cream recipe does not require an ice cream machine! Hurray! You can totally use a paper cup or plastic container to make ice cream however if you want to make your ice cream in a bar format then you will need a mold and some ice cream sticks.
The product I am using is a rather affordable Ice cream mold from Silikomart that you can purchase from Amazon in here, it contains the sticks too and perfect for making ice creams, I am very pleased with it! It has a nice size, and super easy to release the frozen product.
💡 Top Tip: Silicone ice cream mold is the most perfect tool to make ice cream bars, however, please note that you can only remove the ice cream from the mold if it is completely frozen
2. Step-by-step process
Making this Pistachio Ice cream bar could not be simpler, literally 10 minutes or so, the most difficult part is the waiting until it sets in the freezer. The recipe makes 4 ice cream bars, feel free to half or double the recipe if needed.
- Measure all your ingredients with a Digital scale
- Mix 100% pistachio paste into sweetened condensed milk until fully incorporated - try not to eat the mixture!
- Whip heavy cream with the help of an electric hand mixer until early hard peaks
- Carefully, with the help of a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into the condensed milk & pistachio paste mixture
- With the help of a spoon fill 4 cavities of your Ice cream mould. Gently tap the mold onto the kitchen counter a few times so air bubbles will come to the surface then press one stick into each – the end of the stick should be where the mold indicates it, please see the picture below
- Smooth the top with an offset spatula. Make sure that the top is properly smooth and flat
- Place Ice cream mould into the freezer for 6 hours and now it is onto waiting. Please note that if you don´t wait long enough, the ice cream might stuck into the mold also won´t be too easy to coat later
💡 Top Tip: The consistency is quite important for the perfect soft and fluffy ice cream texture so make sure that the cream is whipped up correctly and you stop as soon as early stiff peaks. If you happen to beat the cream longer, you might find that it will form clumps which then would make it impossible to fold it into the condensed milk mixture
3. How to chocolate coat Ice cream bars
Coating these Pistachio Ice cream bars could not be easier! Basically, you will need to dip the frozen ice cream bars into melted chocolate however it is very important that both of these are on the right temp.
To be able to successfully and quickly coat your ice cream bars, make sure that ice cream is properly frozen (min 6h in the freezer). For coating, chose a tall but skinny glass that you will pour the melted chocolate in just before coating. Truth is, you won´t need all the chocolate stated in the recipe, but you have to melt enough chocolate to be able to dip the ice cream into it. Any leftover chocolate can be poured onto a parchment paper then it will set in a few hours and can be reused. Since chocolate won´t be tempered this time (no need), the leftover chocolate won´t set hard and snappy. But, you can always use it for making other desserts, check my brownie recipe or brownie cookie recipe with the green color and some added pistachio, they they would look actually amazing!
So the process of chocolate coating these Pistachio ice cream bars is the following
- Melt chocolate in the microwave stirring every 30 sec. I use Callebaut WhiteChocolate (callets) and melted it to 45C. Make sure you don´t burn the chocolate, use a plastic container (not glass)
- Once the chocolate is melted, optionally color it with a very small amount of green fat-soluble food coloring
- Pour melted chocolate into a tall and skinny glass
- Unmold the pistachio bars ice cream by gently releasing it from the Ice cream mold. The stick should come through the top. They should come out well, but a little bit of imperfection is fine since anyway they will be coated
- Make sure that ice cream bars are very cold, use them straight out of the freezer. Before ice cream is coated, don´t leave it outside the freezer, not even for one minute. Make sure that the 2nd ice cream is in the freezer in the mould while you are playing around with the 1st one and so on.
- While holding the stick, immediately dip ice cream into melted chocolate then very gently shake the ice cream a bit so that coating will run through it without getting too thick. Since ice cream is very cold, the chocolate coating should set on it fairly quickly, literally 30-60 seconds at room temp.
- Store ice creams in the freezer until they fully set then a few minutes later you can decorate them with melted white chocolate and pistachios
- Needless to say, you have to work quick with ice cream, there is no time to wander around or they start to melt especially before they are coated with chocolate
💡 Top Tip: Only dip the ice cream bar into the chocolate once. A second tip would risk 1. they melt together 2. chocolate set uneven “wrinkled”
4. How to store
Once chocolate coating sets, you have to store these Pistachio Ice cream bars in the freezer either in a plastic container or eg. wrapped in parchment paper. Make sure you do not wrap it before the chocolate coating properly sets as that would remove the chocolate coat.
Check out some of my other pistachio desserts as well!
💡 Top Tip: Since this is a full natural ice cream using 4 real ingredients – unlike store-bought ice cream – I find they might be a bit hard straight out of the freezer and they need about 3 minutes at room temp before the inside starts to get soft and they get that lovely creamy texture
More Ice cream recipes
Pistachio Ice cream bar
- 150 g (⅔ cups) Heavy Cream
- 110 g (⅓ cups) Sweetened Condensed milk
- 50 g (½ cups) Pistachio paste 100% unsweetened
- 250 g (1½ cups) White chocolate eg. Callebaut White Chocolate (callets)
- Fat soluble green food coloring for the coating optional
US customary cup measurement is an indicative figure only. Measure the ingredients with a digital scale by weight (gram). Baking is art but also science which requires precision and accuracy.
- Mix pistachio paste with sweetened condensed milk just until combined
- Whip heavy cream with the help of an electric hand mixer until early hard peaks
- Carefully, with the help of a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into the condensed milk & pistachio mixture
- Smooth the top with an offset spatula
- After ice cream is properly frozen melt chocolate in the microwave stirring every 30 sec
- Optionally mix in fat soluble green food coloring
- While holding the stick, immediately dip ice cream into melted chocolate then very gently shake the ice cream a bit so that coating will run through it without setting too thick
- The chocolate coating should set on it fairly quickly, in literally 30-60 seconds on room temp.
- Decorate with melted white chocolate and chopped pistachio
- Store in freezer
Leave a Reply