This Homemade No churn Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar recipe is the perfect choice if you want to make a Caramel Macchiato kind of ice cream without all the fuss! This wonderful ice cream bar is made of using 4 simple natural ingredients in 10 minutes without any ice cream machine! It is creamy and soft with delicious and deep coffee flavour inside the ice cream bar, while the crunchy caramelised white chocolate coating brings a super smooth and intense caramel flavour.
This Homemade No churn Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar recipe is seriously better than store bought as store bought ice cream often only have coffee aroma while this one is made with freshly brewed espresso! My Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar recipe is made of using natural ingredients only – unlike store bough ice cream! The recipe does not use egg, neither gelatin! It is super easy, literally comes together in 10 minutes! Let´s get started!
What does No churn Ice cream mean?
It means no fancy expensive ice cream maker is required to make homemade ice cream, all you need is 10 minutes and an electric mixer or hand whisk. No churn ice creams like this Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar is usually made of a few simple ingredients (cream, condensed milk plus the flavoring like coffee, fruit puree etc) super quickly and easily. No Churn ice cream is the perfect ice cream recipe even if you are a beginner in the kitchen or perhaps a Pro but don´t want to purchase an ice cream machine.
Is No Churn ice cream good? I will be honest with you, I was sceptical and thought I can never make good, creamy ice cream without ice cream machine. How wrong I was! Since I tried this easy 10 minutes no churn ice cream base recipe, I can´t stop making a new flavour each week! See some of my other flavour recommendations at the end of this blog post)
My Top 3 Baking Tips for home bakers
- Read the recipe carefully including my tips and recommendations on how to avoid and fix typical issues during making this easy No churn Coffee Caramel Ice cream recipe
- Avoid using substitutes and changing the recipe unless you are aware of how to fully reformulate the recipe in order to keep the balance in texture as well as flavour. This easy Coffee Caramel Ice cream recipe is made of using 4 ingredients only and no, you can´t replace any of those if want to keep the creamy texture and deep coffee and caramel flavours
- For consistent, happy baking experience always measure your ingredients with the help of a Digital scale. Cup measurement is provided as an indicative figure only and might be used for less complex and large batch recipes however it is not an appropriate method if you want consistent results
Some important notes regarding the INGREDIENTS of this easy No churn Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar recipe
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream also known as whipping cream has a fat content between 36% and 40% , the cream I am using is 36% to make this Coffee Caramel Ice cream recipe that makes the ice cream super creamy and fluffy. Use it very cold. Don´t have substitution for this as you need a very rich, fatty cream for the right soft and fluffy ice cream texture
- Sweetened condensed milk: Condensed milk is kind of an important ingredient if you want to make No churn Ice cream like this Mocha ice cream recipe without expensive ice cream machine. Condensed milk is cow’s milk from which water has been removed (roughly 60% of it). It is most often found with sugar added, in the form of sweetened condensed milk. Sweetened condensed milk is a very thick, sweet product, which when canned can last for years without refrigeration, if not opened. Possibly you can substitute it with a product called evaporated milk, which has undergone a lengthier preservation process because it is not sweetened. Evaporated milk is known in some countries as unsweetened condensed milk. Both products have a similar amount of water removed however since evaporated milk does not contain sugar, you will need to add sugar into it (possibly glucose syrup that makes the ice cram softer vs granulated sugar)
- Coffee: This Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar is made of using freshly brewed, strong espresso like coffee. Make sure you make a strong coffee so your ice cream flavour will turn out deep
- Chocolate: The chocolate coat is quite an important part of this Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar both in terms of taste, also in terms of cruncy texture. Make sure you use high quality chocolate that has a pleasant taste! In this recipe I am using is a so called Caramelised white chocolate, check it out in here: Callebaut Gold chocolate that is the best match to the lovely mocha flavor. This is a high-quality chocolate (yet affordable) that has wonderful butterscotch and caramel notes. Please see further notes below regarding the chocolate itself
As you can see, it is totally possible, in fact super easy, to make no churn ice cream at home using very few natural ingredients.
What is Caramelised white chocolate and how does it taste?
Caramelized white chocolate is a dream on its own and brings a flavour that makes your desserts super special! If I had to chose my favorite chocolate it would be probably this one! It goes super well with hazelnut, coffee, lemon, almost anything really.
White chocolate can be sweet for some (very much depends on the quality), but if you caramelize it in the oven for about 30 minutes (only try with high quality chocolate that has high content of cocoa butter), it becomes a golden in color with a complex and nutty flavor. The taste of caramelized white chocolate reminds of butterscotch, dulce de leche or caramel, but with all the creaminess of white chocolate.
You can either make caramelized white chocolate at home (only try it if using high quality white chocolate with high cocoa content otherwise chocolate will dry out while caramelizing) or purchase it eg. Callebaut Gold chocolate what I am using. Callebaut Gold is made of caramelised sugar and caramelised milk and the chocolate has rich notes of toffee, butter, cream and an exciting dash of salt. It is brilliant when you want a caramel coating like on this Coffee Caramel ice cream, and really takes your chocolate experience and desserts to the next level!
My top 4 tips regarding the TECHNIQUE of making Homemade Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar
1. What equipment is needed to make No churn homemade Ice cream bars
By now you already know that this Coffee Caramel Ice cream recipe does not require an ice cream machine! Hurray! You can totally use a paper cup or plastic container to make ice cream however if you want to make your ice cream into a bar format then you will need a mould and some ice cream sticks.
The product I am using is a rather affordable Ice cream mould from Silikomart that you can purchase from Amazon in here, it contains the sticks too and perfect for making ice creams, I am very pleased with it! It has a nice size, and super easy to release the frozen product.
2. What is the process of making No churn Coffee Caramel Ice cream bar
Making this Coffee Caramel Ice cream could not be simpler, literally 10 minutes or so, the most difficult part is the waiting until it sets in the freezer. The recipe makes 4 Mocha ice cream bars, feel free to half or double the recipe, if needed.
- Measure all your ingredients with a Digital scale
- Make a strong espresso like coffee and mix it into sweetened condensed milk until fully incorporated – it will be very delicious, try not to eat it!
- Whip very cold (otherwise it might not whip up) heavy cream with the help of an electric hand mixer until early hard peaks. The consistency of the whipped cream is quite important for the perfect soft and fluffy ice cream texture so make sure that the cream is whipped up correctly and you stop as soon as early stiff peaks. If you happen to beat the cream longer, you might find that it will form lumps which then would make it impossible to fold it into the condensed milk mixture
- Carefully, with the help of a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into the condensed milk & coffee paste mixture
- With the help of a spoon fill 4 cavities of your Ice cream mould. Gently tap the mould onto the kitchen counter a few times so air bubbles will come to the surface then press one stick into each – the end of the stick should be where the mould indicates it, please see picture below
- Smooth the top with an offset spatula. Make sure that the top is properly smooth and flat
- Place Ice cream mould into the freezer for 6 hours and now it is onto waiting. Please note that if you don´t wait long enough, the ice cream might stuck into the mould also won´t be too easy to coat later
3. How to chocolate coat Ice cream bars
Coating these Coffee Caramel Ice cream bars could not be easier! Basically you will need to dip the frozen ice cream bars into melted chocolate however it is very important that both of these are on the right temp.
To be able to successfully and quickly coat your ice cream bars, make sure that ice cream is properly frozen (min 6h in the freezer). For coating, chose a tall but skinny glass that you will pour the melted chocolate in just before coating. Truth is, you won´t need all the chocolate stated in the recipe, but you have to melt enough chocolate to be able to dip the ice cream into it. Any leftover chocolate can be poured onto a parchment paper then it will set in a few hours and can be reused. Since chocolate won´t be tempered this time (no need), the leftover chocolate won´t set hard and snappy. But, you can always use it for making other desserts.
So the process of chocolate coating these Coffee Caramel Ice cream bars is the following
- Melt Callebaut Gold chocolate chocolate in the microwave stirring every 30 sec. Make sure you don´t burn the chocolate, use plastic container (not glass)
- Pour melted chocolate into a tall and skinny glass so when you dip ice cream into it, the chocolate will reach it all the way
- Unmould one ice cream bar by gently releasing it from the Ice cream mould . The stick should come through the top. It should come out well, but a little bit of imperfection is fine since anyway they will be coated. If it seems stuck in the mold it means it is not properly frozen yet or your freezer is not cold enough
- While holding the stick, immediately dip ice cream into melted Callebaut Gold chocolate chocolate then very gently shake the ice cream a bit so that coating will run through it without setting too thick. Since ice cream is very cold, the chocolate coating should set on it fairly quickly, in literally 30-60 seconds on room temp.
- Continue with the next one as per instructions above
- Store ice creams in freezer until they fully set then few minutes later you can decorate them
- Needless to say you have to work quick with ice cream, there is no time to wonder around or they start to melt especially before they are coated
Tip 1: Make sure that ice cream bars are very cold, use them straight out of the freezer. Before ice cream is coated, don´t leave it outside the freezer, not even for one minute. Make sure that the 2nd ice cream is in the freezer in the mould while you are playing around with the 1st one and so on.
Tip 2: Only dip the ice cream bar into the chocolate once. A second tip would risk 1. they melt together 2. chocolate set uneven “wrinkled”
Tip 3: If you have a warm kitchen and coating does not seem to set, open the freezer door and hold the ice cream “into the freezer” with the help of the stick. The chocolate coat will set in this cold temp fairly quickly
Regarding decoration, make it according to your liking. I made a very easy gold decoration on top of my Coffee Caramel Ice cream bars:
- Melt a little bit of dark chocolate
- Moved it into a piping bag then make a very small hole on the piping pag
- Apply the stripes with the melted chocolate
- Sprinkle some gold dust over the stripes
4. How to store these Coffee Caramel Ice cream bars
Once caramel chocolate coating sets, you have store these Mocha Ice cream bars in the freezer either in a plastic container or eg. wrapped in parchment paper. Make sure you do not wrap them before chocolate coating properly set as that would remove the chocolate coat.
Since this is a full natural ice cream using 4 real ingredients – unlike store bought ice cream – I find they might be a bit hard straight out of the freezer and they need about 3 minutes on room temp before the inside starts to get soft and they get that lovely creamy texture. Obviously it depends on where you live, in a warmer climate they might start to melt already after one minute, not an issue in Sweden!
Want to try some other Homemade No churn Ice cream recipes too?
Ruby Raspberry Ice cream – This Homemade Ruby Raspberry Ice cream bar recipe is the best thing that can happen to raspberries this summer. Super creamy and delicious raspberry yogurt ice cream bar coated with Ruby chocolate, that has a wonderful natural pink color! The ultimate girly pink ice cream recipe you must try. Recipe in here
Chocolate Ice cream – This Chocolate Ice cream bar is creamy, soft, full of natural chocolate flavours without being icy or hard! Hands down, the best chocolate ice cream you can make without using fancy and expensive ice cream machines! Recipe in here
Pistachio Ice cream – This Homemade Pistachio Ice cream bar recipe is almost as creamy as the pistachio gelato I had last time I was in Italy! It is creamy and soft with delicious and deep pistachio flavour without being icy or hard! Recipe in here
STAY TUNEDSubscribe to my recipes, sweet tips & latest travel news.
- 160 g Heavy Cream
- 130 g Sweetened Condensed milk
- 20 g Coffee strong espresso like coffee
- 250 g Caramelized white chocolate eg. Callebaut Gold
- Dark chocolate melted for decoration
- Edible Gold dust for decoration
US customary cup measurement is an indicative figure only. Measure the ingredients with a digital scale by weight (gram). Baking is art but also science which requires precision and accuracy.
- Mix coffee with sweetened condensed milk just until combined
- Whip heavy cream with the help of an electric hand mixer until early hard peaks
- Carefully, with the help of a rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into the condensed milk & coffee mixture
- With the help of a spoon fill 4 cavities of your Ice cream mould. Gently tap the mould onto the kitchen counter a few times so air bubbles will come to the surface then press one stick into each
- Smooth the top with an offset spatula
- Place Ice cream mould into the freezer for 6 hours
- After ice cream is properly frozen melt chocolate in the microwave stirring every 30 sec
- Pour melted chocolate into a tall and skinny glass. Unmould ice cream by gently releasing it from the Ice cream mould
- While holding the stick, immediately dip ice cream into melted chocolate then very gently shake the ice cream a bit so that coating will run through it without setting too thick
- The chocolate coating should set on it fairly quickly, in literally 30-60 seconds on room temp.
- Decorate with melted dark chocolate and edible gold dust
- Store in freezer