Making this easy Strawberry Galette recipe takes literally zero effort with incredible delicious results, the perfect Spring pie! Flaky and buttery pie crust - that comes together in 3 minutes - loaded with strawberries and baked to perfection! Galette is the perfect life saver when you carve for something sweet that is also quick, easy and delicious, a must try easy Spring pie recipe!
No special equipment is needed to make this Strawberry galette recipe, it is made of using a few basic ingredients you probably already have at home like butter, flour etc. Let´s get started!
What is a Galette?
Galette is a term used in French cuisine referring to various types of flat round or free-form crusty desserts and it is probably my favourite type of pie! They can be made in any shape, definitely don´t need to stick to round shape! These free-form pies are quick to make without any special equipment, easy to assemble and can be filled with a variety of delicious fruits.
Galette is the perfect lazy dessert that is super fun to make and shape using your hands only! You can either make a full size version like this one or 2 smaller ones simply dividing the recipe. Feel free to fill it with your choice of fruit, that can be any kind of berries, apple, pear etc.! I also love combining fruits with herbs, perhaps nuts, even certain types of cheese can be a great addition!
My Top 5 Baking Tips for home bakers
- Read the recipe carefully including my tips and recommendations on how to avoid and fix typical issues during baking this Strawberry Galette recipe. Not much issues is expected as this is a super easy recipe but still worth to pay attention to my tips below to avoid disappointment
- Avoid using substitutes and changing the recipe unless you are aware of how to fully reformulate the recipe in order to keep the balance in texture as well as flavour. In general, replacing egg, using gluten-free flour, skipping certain ingredients etc. will all have an impact on your Strawberry Galette
- For consistent, happy baking experience always measure your ingredients with the help of a Digital scale. Cup measurement is provided as an indicative figure only and might be used for less complex and large batch recipes however it is not an appropriate method if you want consistent results
- Did you know that most home ovens can significantly under or oven run? Also, oven temperature hugely drops when opening the oven door therefore it is recommended to always pre-heat the oven above the required baking temperature.
- Temperature is so important when it comes to baking and accurate oven temperature is key, can make or break any recipe. Make sure you invest into an inexpensive Digital oven thermometer to avoid under baked or burnt, sad looking desserts
My TIPS regarding the INGREDIENTS of this Easy Strawberry Galette recipe
For the pie crust
- Flour: I am AP flour in this Strawberry galette recipe. If you want to be a Pro when it comes to deciding what type of flour to use in your baking, please read my article in here
- Salt: An essential ingredient in most of the dessert recipes. Balances flavour and enhances other ingredients. This is a sweet tart dough and I just love that extra very mild salty kick at the end
- Sugar: I am using a tiny bit of granulated sugar in the pie crust of this Strawberry Galette but it is not necessary. In general, pie crust should not be sweet, it is the filling which brings the sweetness. If you want to learn about the different types of sugar and how to use them in baking, please read my article in here
- Butter: Use always unsalted as you want to be in control of the quantity of the salt. I am using 82% fat content butter in all my recipes. While in most of the recipes butter needs to be on room temperature, this is an exception and you have to take it very seriously. Butter needs to be chilled, which means take the butter out of the fridge, cut into cubes then place it into the freezer for 10-15 minutes before using it. Working with cold butter is absolutely key to reach the right consistency of your pie dough
- Egg: This pie crust does not contain egg
- Cream: Usually pie dough contains 1-2 tablespoon of ice cold water, however I really prefer to use heavy cream instead. If you run out of cream or don´t want to use it, feel free to replace it with equal amount of water
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese will provide even more flaky, tender, melt-in-your mouth crust. You absolutely can´t leave this out. I always use Philadelphia when I state cream cheese in my recipes. If you don´t have cream cheese perhaps it is worth to try with other high fat dairy creams eg. mascarpone
For the filling
- Fruit: The beauty of making Galettes is that you can literally use almost fruits even mix it with herbs and experiment according to your preference or season. This is a Strawbery Galette recipe so I am using fresh strawberries here, but the recipe works with any sort of berries, pear, apple, plum etc. You could also use different herbs with the strawberry eg. mint or basil would be nice
- Sugar: Galette should not be overly sweet, let the sweetness of the fruit come through instead. I don´t use too much sugar in this Strawberry Galette recipe, feel free to adjust this quantity according the sweetness of your fruit and your taste
- Corn starch: Corn starch is an important ingredient that helps to thicken the filling so it won´t get overly runny which would result in soggy pie
- Almond flour: If you are like me and prefer your galette neat looking and not soggy, you will have to use some sort of flour under the fruit. I recommend almond flour which has no taste and perfectly “absorbs” the liquid of the fruit so the filling stays juice without making the galette soggy
- Egg: Mix egg with a drop of water and carefully egg wash the galette before baking. Can be left out if egg is your dietary concern
6 Baking tips regarding the TECHNIQUE of making Strawberry galette
This is a super easy Strawberry Galette recipe and you don’t have to overthink however there are some important notes worth considering so your galette will be flaky, not soggy and super delicious like mine!
1. How to prepare home made flaky pie crust for this Strawberry Galette recipe
Similarly to my Pâte Sablée recipe, crumbling method is used to prepare a flaky pie crust for this Strawberry Galette recipe. What crumbling method means is that first you need to rub the mixture (flour, salt, sugar, ice cold butter) between your hands until it becomes a sand like = crumbly consistency. Feel free to leave in bigger butter chuncks that encourages flaky pie texture.
Then, as a second step, mix in the rest of the ingredients (cream cheese, cream) and gently knead with your hand just for a minute until the dough comes together and not crumby any longer. Please do not use a mixer, this flaky pie dough will literally come together in 3 minutes.
Form a ball, slightly flatten it into a disk (this step makes the galette dough much easier to roll out quickly and evenly), wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for minutes an hour.
2. Why chill the Strawberry Galette pie dough before baking
Chilling the pie dough makes the dough easier to work with since butter will harden and gluten will develops. Also, chilling supports that lovely pie texture you love. Non-chilled crust is very difficult, in fact, almost impossible to roll out and has fairly crumbly and less smooth texture. If you don’t chill the dough, the baked galette will be heavier, less flaky and more doughy . Very likely also that during rolling the pie dough would shrink every time you try to roll. So please, chill the dough for minimum an hour. I know some recipes out there state "no chill pie dough" but it will provide a rather unprofessional result.
3. How to roll out pie dough
Temperature and technique is everything while rolling pie dough out.
Temperature wise, you won´t be able to roll out the dough if it is too cold (straight out of the fridge) so wait 5-10 minutes and let it rest on room temp first. Equally, don´t wait too long as when it gets too warm, it is again impossible to roll it out without sticking. Aim for the sweet spot in terms of temp, cold enough but not too cold.
Technique wise, while rolling, start from the center of the disc and work your way out in all directions. Aim for rolling the dough somewhat in a circle but don´t worry too much about it as while folding you will be able to adjust the shape to a circle. If you chilled your dough as stated in the recipe, it will be super easily roll it without the dough trying to shrink. No need to use extra flour on the surface, the dough should not stick as gluten nicely developed in the dough during chilling time.
Tip: Roll out the dough straight on the baking paper you will bake the galette on so you won’t have to move it later. Even better, if you roll the pie dough on or in between two Silicone baking mat
4. How to avoid soggyStrawberry Galette
There is nothing worse than soggy pie bottom and disappointingly eating a slice of Galette with a spoon because it is so wet from the filling. It is, in fact, super easy to avoid these amateur baking mistakes.
Two key tips to avoid soggy pie
1. Use thickener (corn starch) in the filling: Starch will help the filling to thicken during baking while keeping it moist and juicy. Mix strawberries, sugar and corn starch few minutes before filling your pie crust. Your Strawberry galette will turn out juice without being overly wet from the filling
2. Use almond flour between the pie crust and fruit filling: Almond flour (hazelnut or other nut flour can work too) will absorb any unnecessary liquid of the fruit, again making sure that your Strawberry Galette will be just enough juicy and moist without being overly soggy. Almond also brings some nutty taste that goes really well with strawberries
5. How to prevent leakage in the Galette Pie crust
You must have seen Strawberry Galette pictures on the Internet where the filling is all around the place leaking into the tray! It is a big NO, don´t do it! Apart from the tips above (Use starch and almond flour) temperature and timing are also key to prevent leaks in pie crust.
Regarding temperature, it is important to keep the pie dough cold enough to work with so it won´t be sticky and won´t tear (risk for leakage). Equally, the galette dough should not be too cold neither which would result in breaking the raw dough (that is where it will leak later).Remember, you might need to take the dough in and out of the fridge the few times making sure that it is always at the right temp, never force pie dough if temp does not feel right
Regarding technique: Once strawberry filling is on top of the galette crust, make sure that you gently but tightly fold the edges over the filling. Be careful, not to break the dough at this point, see points above in regards to technique. The whole process should not take more than 1-2 minutes so your dough should stay nicely cold to work with. Next comes the egg wash, which again should be applied carefully making sure that you don’t accidentally damage the dough with the brush.
And then comes the 2nd chilling time. While pre-heating your oven pop your Strawbery Galette into the freezer for 10 minutes, this will ensure that the galette won’t lose its shape while baking - which again risk of having sad looking baked pie and / or leakage.
6. How to bake this Strawberry galette
As usual, never bake your desserts without pre-heating your oven for 10-15 minutes. Oven temperature hugely drops when opening the oven door therefore it is recommended to always pre-heat the oven above the required baking temperature.
Also, make sure you invest into an inexpensive Digital oven thermometer to avoid under baked or burnt, sad looking desserts.
The galette needs to be baked on a relatively high temp 200 C / 392 F (no fan) for about 30 minutes but each oven is different so please focus on how your particular galette looks as opposed to time. It is ready when the crust becomes even golden colour, the filling bubble, the the bottom of the crust is nicely baked.
Once you are happy with your Strawberry galette, take it out of the oven and let it rest on room temp. The filling will further sets as it cools. Only cut the galette after it comes to room temp.
In regards to decoration, feel free to use some edible flours, herbs like mynth or ice cream as many people prefer (I am not fan of it, I think this galette is so delicious with such a wonderful texture that I personally would not ruin it with ice cream, but that is just me!)
Other Strawberry Galette flavor variations to try
Making Galette is super versatile, you can literally use any fruits, herb, spices of your choice. With this Strawberry galette recipe it is worth to consider the following variations:
- Strawberry & rhubarb
- Strawberry & raspberry
- Strawberry & mint
- Strawberry & basil
- Strawberry & almond flakes
- Strawberry & rose pepper
- Strawberry & coconut
- Strawberry & other berries
Do you want to try some of my other Homemade Galette recipes?
How about trying my strawberry cakes?
Victoria Sponge cake – This Victoria sponge cake recipe combines strawberries and cream that are sandwiched together in my super delicious, moist and fluffy sponge cake! This cake has a moist, tender and melt in your mouth texture with refreshing strawberry and cream filling, that makes the cake super creamy yet balanced in sweetness. Try Queen Victoria´s favorite cake! Recipe in here
Fraisier cake - This spectacular Fraisier cake recipe is the Queen of the Strawberry cakes! Buttery sponge layers filled with incredible delicious Crème mousseline (pastry cream enriched with butter), a layer strawberry compote insert and the signature strawberry decoration around the cake. Recipe in here
STAY UPDATEDSubscribe to my recipes, sweet tips & latest travel news.
Easy strawberry galette
- 300 g Strawberry fresh
- 30 g Granulated sugar
- 10 g Corn starch
- 2 tablespoon Almond flour under the fruit filling
- ½ Egg with a drop of water to egg wash
US customary cup measurement is an indicative figure only. Measure the ingredients with a digital scale by weight (gram). Baking is art but also science which requires precision and accuracy.
- Sift together dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder, salt
- Add very cold butter chunks and rub the mixture between your hands until it becomes a sand like consistency. It is fine to leave in bigger butter chunks
- Add cream and cream cheese and mix with your hands just until the dough comes together
- Knead with the palm of your hand for a minute (do not over knead and do not use mixer) just until the dough becomes smooth
- Place the dough (form a disk and wrap it) into the fridge for minimum one hour or even overnight
- Prepare the filling by simply mixing all the ingredients (strawberry, sugar, starch)
- Once dough chilled, roll it out on the baking paper you will be baking on then hint with almond flour
- Place filling on top. Gently and tightly fold the edges over the filling
- Pop the unbaked galette into the freezer for 10-15 minutes while pre-heating oven to 200 C / 392 F
- Bake for 30 minutes. It is ready when the crust becomes even golden colour and the filling bubble