These Strawberries and Cream cupcakes are the best thing that can happen in Spring! Moist vanilla cupcakes filled with strawberry sauce and decorated with a phenomenal whipped cream frosting and strawberries. A wonderful strawberry cupcake recipe with cream. It is creamy, moist, fruity, sweet but very well balanced in sweetness with full of natural strawberry flavors.
And did I mention how easy to make these Strawberries and cream cupcakes? The recipe comes together really quickly and easily, is is definitely a must spring cupcake recipe and a safe bet even if you are beginner in the kitchen. Let´s get started!
My Top 5 Baking Tips for home bakers
- Read the recipe carefully including my tips and recommendations on how to avoid and fix typical issues during baking. Not much issue is expected during making these Strawberries and Cream cupcakes however still worth to read my tips if you want the best results especially around making the frosting and assembling the cupcakes
- Avoid using substitutes and changing the recipe unless you are aware of how to fully reformulate the recipe in order to keep the balance in texture as well as flavour. Reducing sugar, replacing egg, using low fat cream etc. will all have an impact on this Strawberries and Cream cupcake recipe. I do not have substitutes for egg, flour and sugar
- For consistent, happy baking experience always measure your ingredients with the help of a Digital scale. Cup measurement is provided as an indicative figure only and might be used for less complex and large batch recipes however it is not an appropriate method if you want consistent results. A little bit too much of this, too little of that can easily change the recipe can result in dry cupcakes
- Did you know that most home ovens can significantly under or oven run? Also, oven temperature hugely drops when opening the oven door therefore it is recommended to always pre-heat the oven above the required baking temperature.
- Temperature is so important when it comes to baking and accurate oven temperature is key, can make or break any recipe. Make sure you invest into an inexpensive Digital oven thermometer to avoid under baked, burnt, sad looking Strawberries and Cream cupcakes
Some important notes regarding the INGREDIENTS of this Strawberries and Cream cupcake recipe
For the vanilla cupcake
- Butter: Use always unsalted as you want to be in control of the quantity of the salt. I am using 82% fat content butter in all my recipes. In this cupcake recipe butter needs to be at room temperature which technically means soft enough to be able to cream but not too soft or runny so avoid last minute microwaving. The right consistency and temp of the butter is a very important factor when it comes to cupcake texture so please make sure you leave the butter out on the kitchen counter to soften for a few hours before using it
- Granulated Sugar: Standard, all purpose granulated or white sugar is perfectly fine for making cupcakes, nothing fancy. If you want to learn about the different types of sugar and how to use them in baking, please read my article in here
- Egg: Room temperature as always
- Flour: All purpose flour or pastry flour makes the best cupcakes. They are so called “soft flour” which are low on protein resulting in delicate, tender texture. It is always a good idea to sift your flour as it tends to form lumps. If you want to be a Pro when it comes to deciding what type of flour to use in your baking, please read my article in here
- Salt: An essential ingredient in most of the dessert recipes. Balances flavour and enhances other ingredients
- Baking powder: Has two functions: increase the volume and lighten the texture
- Milk: Room temperature whole milk is the best
- Vanilla: These Strawberries and Cream cupcakes are made with a vanilla cupcake batter. Please avoid using artificial vanilla. There are several great brands for fine, pure vanilla, I use Nielsen massey which I love and really recommend. I use vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract which has lovely vanilla bits in there too
- White vinegar+baking soda: The SECRET ingredients to make cupcakes super moist and tender even after days, the exact opposite of those sad looking dry ones from the supermarkets
For the strawberry puree filling
- Strawberry: These strawberry cupcakes are filled with a super quick strawberry puree. Use fresh or frozen, the key is to cook it until slightly thickens
- Sugar: Use granulated sugar, easy. The exact amount of sugar will need your judgement depending on the sweetness of the strawberry you use
- Lemon juice: A small amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice to balance the sweetness
For the whipped cream frosting
- Heavy cream: Strawberries and Cream cupcakes require a wonderful whipped cream frosting! Heavy cream, also known as whipping cream or double cream has a fat content between 36% and 40% , I use 36% in all my recipes. Use it very cold and do not substitute with vegetable based “whipping cream”
- Mascarpone: Very rich Italian cream cheese, exceptionally smooth and easily to spread or whip. Mascarpone will bring extra creaminess for this strawberry cupcake recipe and also helps to stabilize the cream
- Icing sugar: Icing sugar is the first choice when it comes to whipping up cupcake frosting. Question I often get is whether the quantity is a typo. NO, it´s not! You do not actually need a lot of sugar when making cupcake frosting! It stays beautifully fluffy without tons on sugar, the secret is the technique of whipping, not the amount of sugar, please see my tips below
- Strawberry puree: This is totally optional. Either keep the frosting as it is or you can use a small amount of strawberry puree (same as the one you fill the cupcakes with) to enhance the the color and taste of the frosting. If using it, add at the very end before piping and only use a small amount otherwise the frosting might break (due too too much water added with the puree)
4 tips regarding the TECHNIQUE of making Strawberries and Cream cupcakes
1. How make to moist vanilla cupcakes
First you will have to make some easy vanilla cupcakes that will be turned into delicious Strawberries and Cream cupcakes! This is a super simple recipe that makes 6 wonderful tall bakery style vanilla cupcakes. The recipe can be doubled or halved easily.
There are 2 important considerations to bear in mind while making the cupcakes:
1. Do not overmix the cupcake batter: This is such an easy cupcake recipe, it literally comes together in a few minutes. However you have to pay attention to the ingredients. Room temperature ingredients encourages proper emulsification of the cupcake batter therefore make sure that butter, egg, milk are all on room temperature. Key thing is not to overmix the cupcake butter. Once you cream butter and sugar with an Electric hand mixer , I suggest to switch to Hand whisk. Add in the egg then mix for a few seconds then add in dry (flour+baking powder+salt) and wet (milk) ingredients in 4 steps: wet, dry, wet, dry, that keeps the mixture well blended. Make sure you finish with dry ingredients. Do not overmix!
2. Do not overfill your cupcake tin: For this Strawberry cupcake recipe I recommend to fill your cupcake tin until 3/4. The recipe is designed to make 6 tall cupcakes. Cupcake cases are coming in different sizes in terms of their height, try to buy the taller ones. If you overfill your cupcake tin it will result in “mushroom style” cupcakes! On the other hand, if you don´t fill it enough, they will rise but will stay tiny. If want to bake 12 cupcakes please double the recipe
2. How to make cupcakes moist? I have 7 baking tips for moist cupcakes:
1. Do not change the Ingredients
I suggest not to change the recipe ingredients unless you are an expert and know how to fully reformulate it. If you decide to leave out egg or choose to go for dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free etc. , I can almost guarantee that it will result in imbalance in the ingredients making the cupcakes either too dry or too crumbly or too wet or too oily etc. in their texture. It is absolutely possible to make moist “free-from” cupcakes but that requires a totally new recipe instead of skipping certain ingredients
2. Use the Secret ingredient
I call it the secret ingredient, it is not really secret though since I share this tip in all my cupcake recipes. Once cupcake batter comes together – before baking – mix a small amount of (1/2 teaspoon) white vinegar with a small amount of (1/2 teaspoon) baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit then quickly fold it into the cupcake butter – I promise this will make cupcakes airy and much lighter than cupcakes you are used to and they stay super moist and tender even after days if they ever last that long.
3. Learn the Technique
You very much have to be careful with not over beating your cupcake butter. It might be tempting to pour everything into a stand mixer but please make sure to use a Hand whisk from the point when butter and sugar is already creamed. Beating the cupcake batter too hard can result in too much gluten development and we don´t want that.
4. Be precise while measuring your ingredients
For consistent, happy baking experience always measure your ingredients with the help of a Digital scale. Cup measurement is inaccurate and not an appropriate way to measure ingredients. Just a little bit too much dry ingredients (eg.flour) or too little wet ingredients (eg. milk) can easily ruin your cupcakes and make them dry.
5. Pay attention to temperature
Make sure all your ingredients are on room temperate while making these Strawberries and Cream cupcakes. If your butter is too hard, your milk or egg is too cold, they won´t emulsify properly with the rest of the ingredients resulting in unappealing texture on your cupcakes. When it comes to temperature, oven temp is also super important as baking these cupcakes on too high temp or for too long can results in dry texture. Make sure you invest into an inexpensive Digital oven thermometer to be able to measure your oven temp correctly. If cupcakes were browning, bake them on a lower position or decrease over temp by 5C next time .
6. Might apply soaking syrup
Soaking syrup is a common trick people use to make their cakes moist, you can use the same method for cupcakes. It is not mandatory and I don´t use it in this strawberry cupcake recipe but you can always brush the top of the cupcakes or even drizzle them wit syrup that fits with the flavour eg. lemon syrup when making lemon cupcakes etc.
7. Storage the cupcakes correctly
Once cupcakes are well baked and beautifully frosted, the appropriate storage is definitely something you have to bear in mind to avoid dry cupcakes. Instead of leaving them on a plate, store cupcakes in a container with a tight-fitting lid – in the fridge.
3. How to make strawberry puree filling
Making strawberry puree for this Strawberries and Cream cupcakes recipe is super easy and really makes the difference and brings strong natural strawberry flavors. The process is the following:
1. Cook strawberry sauce until thickens: Whether you use frozen or fresh strawberries, first blend strawberry then cook with sugar and lemon juice over medium heat until slightly thickens. You don´t want to cook it for too long (that would be jam texture) just long enough so some water evaporates and it thickens a bit
2. Let sauce cool down before using: You will have to use the sauce to fill the cupcakes so it is important that both the cupcakes as well as the sauce are either cold or at least room temp otherwise they might melt together making a mess
4. How to make the whipped cream frosting to decorate the Strawberry cupcakes
Whipped cream frosting is super simple, it consist of heavy cream, mascarpone and a small amount of icing sugar whipped until fluffy, pipeable consistency. It is creamy, milky, a super stable frosting and way more delicious and less sweet than butter cream!
Using the right ingredients on the right temperature is extremely important while making whipped cream cupcake frosting.
1. mascarpone has to be cold, use the full fat version (41%+) 2. heave creamy needs to be very cold (pop it into the freezer for a few minutes before using it) and again, full fat version so anywhere between 36-40% 3. icing sugar has to be sifted to avoid lumps 4. do not over whip the mixture
Basically you will have to whip the mixture with an electric hand mixer for a minute or two until it reaches a creamy, fluffy consistency then stop. It won´t get more stiff after this point, in fact if you over beat it, it will get only runnier then it will break. I don´t use my standmixer to whip this frosting since it is really easy to over whip it.
Optionally you can add a tin bit (like 1 tablespoon) of strawberry puree (the one you cooked for the filling) to color the frosting but too much puree can result breaking the frosting so be careful with that.
Once you are happy with the consistency of your frosting, move frosting into a piping bag fitted with your favourite nozzle tip, the one I am using is French star nozzle tip to decorate these lovely Strawberries and Cream cupcakes
5. How to assemble these Strawberries and cream cupcakes
I recommend to make the cupcakes first then while they are in the oven, prepare the strawberry filling. Once cupcakes and also the strawberry filling is on room temp, prepare the whipped cream frosting as per instructions.
- Make a small hole on each of the cupcakes and fill it strawberry sauce. Before filling, make sure that neither cupcake nor the filling is warm
- Pipe frosting on top of each cupcake. I am using is French star nozzle tip nozzle tip. Very important that you never frost cupcake that is warm as that would melt the frosting
- Before serving decorate the cupcakes with fresh strawberries
- Other decoration idea could be: edible gold, freezed dried strawberry, mint leaves etc.
- Store the cupcakes in fridge in container with lid on
That´s it! Your Strawberries and cream cupcakes are ready!
How about some more strawberry recipe ideas?
Strawberry & Pistachio tart – This Strawberry Pistachio tart consist of Pâte Sablée sweet shortcrust pastry filled with silky Pistachio ganache and topped with delicious fresh strawberries. Beautiful contrast of rich and nutty Pistachio ganache and refreshing fruit in a buttery, sweet but not too sweet melt in the mouth pastry shell.
No-bake Strawberry cheesecake recipe – Creamy, extra silky, light mousse like consistency…moderate in sugar, focusing on the natural flavors of the cream cheese and strawberry this cheesecake is very well balanced in sweetness . If you are looking for popular cheesecake experience without all the hard work, try this easy No bake Strawberry cheesecake recipe!
Strawberry Pavlova recipe – This Strawberry Pavlova is the perfect dessert for Spring and Summer, the most amazing Pavlova ever! Crunchy outside, marshmallow texture inside decorated with refreshing cream, fresh strawberry and some mint leaves!
Victoria sponge cake recipe – This Victoria sponge cake recipe combines strawberries and cream that are sandwiched together in my super delicious, moist and fluffy sponge cake! This cake has a moist, tender and melt in your mouth texture with refreshing strawberry and cream filling, that makes the cake super creamy yet balanced in sweetness. Try Queen Victoria´s favorite cake!
STAY TUNEDSubscribe to my recipes, sweet tips & latest travel news.
- 200 g strawberry pure fresh or frozen
- 50 g Granulated sugar depends on sweetness of strawberry
- 10 g lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 100 g Mascarpone cold
- 40 g Icing sugar
- 170 g Heavy Cream very cold
- fresh strawberries
- freezed dried strawberries
US customary cup measurement is an indicative figure only. Measure the ingredients with a digital scale by weight (gram). Baking is art but also science which requires precision and accuracy.
- Heat oven to 175 C / 347°F
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, this is the “dry ingredients”, while the milk is your wet ingredient
- Start adding the dry and wet ingredients into the batter in the following 4 steps: wet, dry, wet, dry. Fold each time with a Hand whisk just a few times
- Mix vinegar and baking soda together in a small bowl, it will be super bubbly. Immediately fold the mixture into the cupcake batter. This is the secret ingredient to keep the cupcakes soft for days without the taste of vinegar of course!
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into Cupcake pan till approx. 3/4. This batch makes 6 large cupcakes
- Bake for 25 min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean then let them cool on Cooling rack
- Move cupcakes onto a Cooling rack and let them cool completely before frosting
- Cook the ingredients for about 10-15 minutes until slightly thickens. Let it cool before using it
- Whip mascarpone, cream and icing sugar with an Electric hand mixer until smooth and fluffy, about one or two minutes. Once it has reached the right consistency, do not overbeat as it can become runny
- Once cupcakes cooled to room temperature, make a small hole on each of them and fill them with the strawberry sauce (approx. one table spoon per cupcake)
- Pipe frosting on each cupcakes, I am using French star nozzle tip
- Decorate with fresh strawberries and freezed dried strawberries (optional)