This easy Rhubarb cake recipe is probably the simplest and most delicious Spring cake to try celebrate rhubarb season. Super moist yogurt and brown sugar cake loaded with rhubarb pieces and topped with a super simple strawberry rhubarb compote is the ultimate easy cake recipe to try this time of the year. You will love it!
It all started with a random last minute trip to South Sweden last weekend to celebrate the warmest weekend so far. We stayed in a lovely cottage via Airbnb (check my Airbnb Guide and promo code in here) and as a souvenir we got some locally grown rhubarb from our host! How lovely?
I feel that apart from rhubarb pie and crumble, rhubarb is rather under utilised in dessert recipes and could be used more often. So, I created this super easy rhubarb cake recipe that is so moist and full of flavours that from now on you might just look upon the rhubarb season differently!
My Top 5 Baking Tips for home bakers
- Read the recipe carefully including my tips and recommendations on how to avoid and fix typical issues during baking this easy Rhubarb cake recipe. A short recipe alone not able to call out all the details that you need to pay attention to while baking therefore most of my recipes contain important information about ingredients and technique
- Avoid using substitutes and changing the recipe unless you are aware of how to fully reformulate the recipe in order to keep the balance in texture as well as flavour. In general, replacing egg, using gluten-free flour, skipping certain ingredients etc. will all have an impact on your Rhubarb cake and sadly I am not able to provide substitutes for all sort of allergies and dietary requirements
- For consistent, happy baking experience always measure your ingredients with the help of a Digital scale. Cup measurement is provided as an indicative figure only and might be used for less complex and large batch recipes however it is not an appropriate method if you want consistent results
- Did you know that most home ovens can significantly under or oven run? Also, oven temperature hugely drops when opening the oven door therefore it is recommended to always pre-heat the oven above the required baking temperature.
- Temperature is so important when it comes to baking and accurate oven temperature is key, can make or break any recipe. Make sure you invest into an inexpensive Digital oven thermometer to avoid under baked, burnt, sad looking cakes
Some important notes regarding the INGREDIENTS of this moist Rhubarb cake recipe
For the cake
- Oil: this is an oil based cake (no butter) that keeps the the cake super moist, soft and fluffy. Butter based cakes tend to harden a lot in the fridge, with oil we won’t have this issue. Use no flavour vegetable oil
- Sugar: I am using a combination of granulated white and brown sugar. I absolutely love the brown sugar deep molasses flavour and regularly use it in fruity yogurt cakes. If you want to learn about the different types of sugar and how to use them in baking, please read my article in here
- Egg: Room temperature as always
- Yogurt: Use high fat content Greek or Turkish style thick yogurt. Its creaminess helps keep to keep this yogurt cake so moist that you won´t be able to stop just after one slice
- Flour: I am using pasty flour but AP works too, they are so called “soft flour” which are low on protein resulting in delicate, tender texture. If you want to be a Pro when it comes to deciding what type of flour to use in your baking, please read my article in here
- Baking powder + Baking soda: Makes the cake tender and helps the rise
- Salt: We always need at least a pinch of salt in any cake batter to balance the flavours, if it was chocolate cake, even more!
- Rhubarb: Cut rhubarb into small pieces. You might feel tempted to add more however too much rhubarb makes the cake too wet and difficult to bake so please stick to the quantity stated in the recipe
For the rhubarb strawberry compote
- Fruit: You will need some rhubarb and strawberry to make the compote topping. I find it looks better if the compote is a mixture of rhubarb and strawberry puree plus rhubarb pieces. Will give instructions on this in the recipe card
- Sugar: Simple white granulated sugar is working perfectly fine
- Lemon juice: Juice of lemon, freshly squeezed. Remember, lemon juice balances the flavours, just like salt in the cake
- Gelatine sheet: It´s an odorless, tasteless and colorless thickening agent, very often used by pastry chefs particularly in mousse cakes. Powder or sheet versions are available, in my recipes I always use sheet (1,7 g / sheet), which I found easier to handle. You can replace it by equal gelatin powder of the same weight. If using sheet, simple soak the gelatine sheet into cold water for a few minutes before you need them and use it according to the recipe. Please note that gelatine is derived from collagen taken from animal body parts therefore not suitable for vegetarians. Agar agar can be a good substitution for vegetarians however replacing gelatine with agar agar is not 1:1 and can only be done by reformulating the recipe slightly.
3 tips regarding the TECHNIQUE of making this Rhubarb Cake recipe
1. How to make super moist Rhubarb cake
This is a wonderful and easy Yogurt based cake recipe you can use with various fruits eg. apple, pear, cherry, strawberry etc. A super moist, fluffy cake with velvety crumb and wonderful brown sugar notes, incredible delicious. It is also easy to prepare, key is not to overwork the batter.
- Ingredients must be all measures with a Digital scale
- Prepare baking pan 15 cm (6 inch) round cake pan with parchment paper
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C / 356°F
- Eggs as well yogurt must be on room temperature, yogurt can form lumps easily if used cold
- Whisk oil, egg, yogurt, granulated and brown sugar just until combined
- Sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) before adding to the mixture, whisk just until combined
- Then fold in rhubarb pieces
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking
- After 30 minutes check the middle of the cake with a toothpick . Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool on a cooling rack
Can I make this Rhubarb cake in a bigger cake pan?
Yes, you can however you need to adjust quantities and baking time
How do I know that my cake is well baked?
After about 30 minutes (each oven is different) you really need to check the middle of the cake. When toothpick inserted it should come out clean. If cake is not well baked, it will collapse after baking
2. How to easily release cakes from cake pan
There is nothing worst than a beautiful cake stuck in the cake pan! Never again! How to avoid it?
With the help of a pastry brush, brush the inside of the cake pan with a tiny bit of oil then use parchment paper on the bottom and side as well. The oil only needed for the parchment to stick to the pan. What I love about this pan preparation is that no matter what cake I bake, with the help of the parchment paper it is always incredible easy to release the cake from the pan. Make sure you do the cake pan preparation before starting to mix the ingredients!
3. How to make the Rhubarb & strawberry compote topping
I love making this compote, it is sweet and tangy at the same time and gives a perfect addition to your Yogurt Rhubarb cake! It is easy and so delicious you can even play with different kind of spices eg. vanilla bean, tonka bean, ginger, cinnamon, mint are all brilliant choices for rhubarb and strawberry! This compote will be used as another layer on the cake therefore some stability is required in its structure therefore some thickening agent must be used, I am using gelatin sheet.
- Roast rhubarb pieces in the oven for 15 minutes
- In the meantime prepare rhubarb and strawberry puree
- Soak gelatine sheets into cold water
- Cook rhubarb and strawberry puree, sugar, lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Remove saucepan from heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine sheets and stir them into apple compote
I am using a 15cm / 6 inch tin, make sure to adjust the quantity of the apple compote and other ingredients if you are using a larger cake tin.
Can I make this topping without gelatin?
Yes, you can however need to use another thickening agent. agar agar or starch. As you can imagine the fruit puree needs to thicken otherwise it would not set on top of the cake
4. How to assemble this Yogurt Rhubarb cake
First and foremost make sure your cake is cooled even chilled in the fridge for half an hour. Place chilled cake into a Mousse cake ring (adjustable in size) set to 15cm / 6 inch, use Acetate cake collar around the ring inside for neat looking end results. Alternatively use a spring form.
Pour warm but not hot compote over the cake, place roasted rhubarb pieces on top and smooth the top with an Offset spatula. Chill for 2-3 hours then carefully remove the mousse ring and acetate cake collar.
The cake does not need fridge unless you want to keep it for days - that would be rather a shame! Eat it fresh while it is super moist and creamy!
Some more fruity cake recipe ideas to try
Orange Aperol Spritz cake – This Orange Aperol Spritz cake consists of a super moist, brown sugar yogurt cake topped with oranges that are soaked with Aperol Spritz. It is easy and quick to make, fruity with a divine yet not overpowering Aperol Spritz taste! A must for Aperol lovers! Recipe in here
Apple cake – This spiced apple cake recipe is probably the easiest, simplest and most delicious apple cake to try this fall with full of deep apple flavours. Super moist brown sugar cake loaded with spices, apple pieces and topped with a super simple ginger apple compote is the ultimate Apple cake recipe. Recipe in here
STAY UPDATEDSubscribe to my recipes, sweet tips & latest travel news.
Super moist Rhubarb cake
For the cake
For the topping
- 250 g Rhubarb Cut into small pieces
- 140 g Fruit puree half rhubarb half strawberry
- 75 g Granulated sugar
- 10 g lemon juice
- 3 Gelatine sheets
US customary cup measurement is an indicative figure only. Measure the ingredients with a digital scale by weight (gram). Baking is art but also science which requires precision and accuracy.
Start with making the cake
- Heat oven to 180 C / 356°F
- Prepare a 15 cm (6 inch) round cake pan with parchment paper
- Whick together wet ingredients: yogurt, egg, sugar, oil
- Sift dry ingredients together: flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda then fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with the help of a Rubber spatula. Mix just until combined
- Fold rhubarb pieces in just until combined. Pour cake batter into cake pan
- Bake for 30 min or until skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean
- Cool the cake on Cooling rack
Prepare the fruit compote topping
- Roast rhubarb in the oven for 15 min at 180 C / 356°F
- Soak gelatine sheets into cold water
- Cook rhubarb and strawperrby puree, sugar, lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Remove saucepan from heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine sheets and stir them into the compote
- Place chilled cake into the mousse ring and pour warm but not hot compote over. Place roasted rhubarb pieces on top. Smooth the top with an Offset spatula
- Chill cake in the fridge for 2-3hours for the topping to set
- Carefully remove the mousse ring and cake collar
- Decorate with edible golden leaves