Indulge in nostalgia with these edible cookie dough bites – the perfect no-bake, hassle-free treat to satisfy your sweet tooth! Crafted from just 7 simple ingredients, the dough is infused with aromatic vanilla and generously studded with mini chocolate chips, offering a delightful mix of buttery goodness and chocolatey crunch.
Whether you prefer them chilled or straight out of the mixing bowl, no bake cookie dough bites are the perfect way to satisfy your cookie dough cravings!
- 📖 What's the difference between raw cookie dough and edible cookie dough?
- 📖 Why and how to heat treat flour?
- 🌟 Why this is the best recipe
- 📝 Ingredient notes
- 👩🍳 How to make this recipe
- 📚 Flavor variations & Substitutions
- 🥣 Equipment Notes
- 🎓 Expert tips
- ❓Recipe FAQs
- 🍪 Cookie Recipes
- Edible Cookie Dough Bites (No bake)
📖 What's the difference between raw cookie dough and edible cookie dough?
Understanding this difference is the key when answering the question, what are cookie dough bites?
Have you ever wondered, why is cookie dough bad for you? The answer lies in the eggs and the flour. A regular cookie dough recipe, designed for baking, often incorporates raw eggs and untreated flour. These ingredients can potentially carry health risks due to the presence of salmonella and E. coli.
So, is edible cookie dough safe? Yes! It is intentionally crafted for safe consumption by eliminating raw eggs and utilizing heat-treated flour. In doing so, it removes the health concerns associated with traditional raw cookie dough. You can enjoy these no egg cookie dough bites without any worry!
📖 Why and how to heat treat flour?
Heat treating flour is crucial for recipes like edible cookie dough. Raw flour can harbor harmful bacteria and heat treatment eliminates these risks while also improving the flour's texture.
Is it really that dangerous to eat raw cookie dough? It can be and heat treating flour is easy! Just spread the flour evenly on a baking sheet and bake it at 350°F (175°C) for approximately 10 minutes. The goal is for the flour to reach a consistent temperature of 160°F (71°C) to kill any bacteria that may be present.
🌟 Why this is the best recipe
- It is the most delicious - With the perfect balance of sweetness and vanilla, combined with high-quality chocolate chips, these easy cookie dough bites will have your family falling in love and begging for more!
- It is super easy - You don’t need a long list of fancy ingredients or specialized kitchen gadgets for this recipe. Edible cookie dough balls are a quick and fuss free no-bake treat.
- It is allergy friendly - When people with nut allergies ask, are cookie dough bites safe to eat? You can say yes! My recipe skips the use of nut-based ingredients, ensuring that everyone can indulge without worry.
- It is versatile - You can serve them at room temperature or chilled depending on your preference. And it’s incredibly easy to add mix-ins or craft the recipe to suit any dietary restrictions.
📝 Ingredient notes
- Unsalted Butter - Always use unsalted butter in baking to control the saltiness. For this edible cookie dough bites recipe the butter must be at room temperature.
- Sugars - I used a combination of white granulated sugar and light brown sugar to sweeten the dough. Check out my sugar guide to learn more about the different types of sugars used in baking.
- Vanilla extract - Aromatic vanilla extract helps enhance the overall flavor of the no bake cookie dough balls, especially the chocolate.
- All Purpose Flour - The foundation of these cookies! It’s important you heat treat the flour for food safety. Doing so also creates a smoother dough.
- Salt - Ties all the flavors together and balances the sweetness. So don’t skip the salt!
- Chocolate Chips - The star ingredient that turns this into an edible chocolate chip cookie dough bites recipe! You can use any type of chocolate you like from dark to milk chocolate chips, preferably the mini versions.
- No eggs! - Can you make no bake cookie dough bites without eggs? Absolutely!
🛒 You’ll find detailed measurements for all ingredients in the printable version of the Recipe Card at the bottom of this post
👩🍳 How to make this recipe
Step-by-step process of edible cookie dough balls
- Begin by heat treating the flour. First, spread the flour out on a baking sheet and then bake it at 180°C / 356°F for 10 minutes. Then let the flour cool to room temperature. You can also use the microwave for this step, but it can be hard to gauge the temperature of the flour.
- Cream the butter and two sugars together for a few minutes with an electric hand mixer. Then add the vanilla extract.
- Fold the heat treated flour and salt into the butter mixture with a rubber spatula. Be careful not to overmix.
- Fold the mini chocolate chips into the dough.
- Form the dough into 12 equal-sized balls. Then, add a few more chocolate chips on top.
- Serve the cookie dough bites immediately or put them in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes to firm them up first.
- You can store the no bake cookie dough balls in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
💡 Top Tip: Use a cookie scooper to create uniform cookie dough balls. It simplifies the process and yields the most professional-looking results.
📚 Flavor variations & Substitutions
Not only is this recipe simple but the no bake cookie dough bites ingredients are also super easy to customize with substitutions or mix-ins.
- Dried Fruit: Add some cranberries or raisins for some fruity goodness and a little chewy texture.
- Espresso: Consider incorporating ground coffee to intensify the chocolate flavor. You could also serve them with a side of the coffee glaze I use for my cardamom cake.
- Chocolate: Add a bit of cocoa powder to the dough for cookie dough truffles or use white chocolate chips for a new chocolate flavor.
- Coconut: Add a tropical twist with some finely shredded coconut.
- Nutty Delight: Mix in chopped nuts like walnuts or peanuts. Another great option is to mix a little peanut butter, hazelnut butter, or pecan butter into the dough.
- Caramel: Drizzle them with some homemade caramel right before serving to make cookie dough bites candy.
- Nutella: Mix some yummy homemade Nutella into the dough or serve it on the side for dipping.
- Ice Cream: How to make cookie dough bites for ice cream is easy! Just make mini-size dough balls and then fold them into your favorite ice cream.
- Gluten Free: Use an alternative flour to make the no bake cookie dough bites gluten-free. Keep in mind almond flour may not bind as easily.
- Vegan: Use vegan chocolate chips and vegan butter to make the bites plant-based.
- Bars: Make no bake cookie dough bars instead! Just press the dough into a pan, chill it for about 30 minutes, and then cut it into bars.
🥣 Equipment Notes
Learning how to make edible cookie dough bites is a cinch, but you’ll need a few tools for the best results!
However, the most crucial thing in any recipe is precision, and that's where a digital scale is your best friend.
🎓 Expert tips
- For the most delicious no bake cookie dough bites, use high-quality mini chocolate chips and pure vanilla extract.
- Take the extra step to heat treat the flour. This not only ensures the safety of consuming raw dough by eliminating bacteria but also improves its texture.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature. This allows for proper emulsification and results in a smoother dough.
- When incorporating dry ingredients into the butter mixture, mix only until fully combined. Overmixing can lead to a tougher texture.
- Let the heat treated flour cool to room temperature before adding it to the butter or it will melt the dough.
No, I specifically crafted these no bake cookie dough bites to enjoy raw. They contain no eggs, so they won't bake like traditional chocolate chip cookies.
Absolutely! The heat-treated flour and omission of raw eggs make edible cookie dough balls perfectly safe to enjoy straight from the mixing bowl.
You should store them in the fridge in an airtight container, where they will remain fresh for up to 3 days.
First, arrange them on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze them until they are solid. Then you can store them in the freezer for up to 3 months in a sealed freezer bag or airtight container.
🍪 Cookie Recipes
Edible Cookie Dough Bites (No bake)
US customary cup measurement is an indicative figure only. Measure the ingredients with a digital scale by weight (gram). Baking is art but also science which requires precision and accuracy.
- Start with heat treating the flour. Place the flour on a baking sheet and bake it for about 10 minutes at 180C / 356F. The let the flour come back to room temperature before using it. You can also heat treat the flour in the microwave. However, it is more difficult to judge the temperature of the flour when using the microwave, so the oven method is recommended.
- Fold the dry ingredients (heat-treated flour and salt) into the butter mixture with the help of a rubber spatula just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Then fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Then place some more chocolate chips on top.
- You can serve these edible cookie dough balls straight away or refrigerate them for 30 minutes if you prefer a firmer texture.
- Store the no bake cookie dough bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Measure your ingredients with a digital scale for accuracy.
- Heat treating the flour is necessary to make this no bake recipe. Heat-treated flour heats away the bacteria, making your flour safe to eat raw.
- Use room temperature butter.
- Do not skip the salt and vanilla!
- Make sure you read my Expert tips section above to maximize your success. A short recipe alone is not able to cover all the necessary details and science behind baking.
- You can change the texture of these edible cookie balls by chilling them (firmer) or bringing them to room temperature (softer).
- Feel free to experiment with different add-ins such as pecans, freeze dried strawberries, raisin, orange zest, almond extract, or cocoa powder for a new cookie recipe!